Part 1 was short planning, done in late November last year. I restricted myself to 20 minutes per student for the whole week's lessons (approximately 14 ). During the week, I asked each student 3 survey questions at the end of each lesson:
- What was the level of difficulty today? Easy, medium, difficult?
- Did you feel the teacher was well prepared?
- How well did the lesson fit your personal needs and goals in learning English?
All students answered very positively to all the questions.
Part 2 was long planning, done in mid-January this year, 2013. I allowed myself to take all the time I wanted, roam the Internet, delve into my files and library, create new worksheets, etc. during the week, I asked the same survey questions again.
All Students answered positively again!
This experiment showed me several things about my practice:
- 2-3 hours preparation is enough to satisfy my students
- Long preparation put me in a "mold" which didn't allow enough student centeredness
- I should do more experiments like this, because they produce valuable student feedback
My next step is to do 2-3 hours prep on the weekend and use the thus freed up time weekdays to tend my PLN, read professional journals, and experiment/create new materials.